Subscribe to my mailing list to know when I update my blog!
Email:
If you're not receiving my emails, make sure to check your spam.


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Top Ceasar Salads

Who doesn't love a good ceasar salad? The dressing is creamy, the croutons add crunch, and very often it has bacon in it! Sounds like a formula for success....Sadly you'd be surprised how often restaurants miss the mark. My main complaint with Ceasar salads is that the dressing is often way too rich or too salty. In my experience, the best dressings are the ones that have lemon in them because I believe the acidity of the lemon balances out the heaviness of the cream, which is basic. Another problem is that Ceasar salad is really fattening - nutritional studies have shown it to have as much fat as a hamburger - so I rarely allow myself this indulgence, especially if I'm not sure whether or not the salad that I will be getting will be worth the calories. Below is a list of the top three places where the Ceasar salads are definitely worth it!

1. La Maison de Calico: This small restaurant, hidden away behind a quilting store in the Pointe-Claire village makes my favorite Ceasar salad. Funny thing is, their basic salad is super simple with only croutons and parmesan cheese as  toppings, but the dressing is really what makes it special. The dressing has a definite lemon flavor, without being too acidic. It is not too rich and heavy either, just a perfect balance. The price is a little high though, around 7 $ for the small (and it is quite small), but every now and then it is worth it.

http://www.maisondecalico.com/

2. Pizzadélic: I like this salad because it comes with all the traditionnal trimmings: capers, anchovies and bacon. A crisp flatbread also accompanies the salad and kind of replaces the need for croutons. A lemon wedge is often included (ask for one if it is not) and a slight squeeze of it brightens up the salad. The cost of the salad is around 5 or 6 $ for the appetizer size.

3. Elixor: Elixor claims to make their dressings from scratch and I find it shows with their Ceasar salad. Their dressing distinguishes itself by having a stronger garlic flavor, which is another way to cut down on the heaviness. The salad comes with real bacon pieces and chunky croutons. The price is great considering the size, $6  for a big appetizer size, but what's even better is that with certain meals it is often possible to add the salad for only 3$, which is totally worth it.

http://www.elixor.com/

1 comment:

  1. you would know where the best salads are...you yourself are the best salad maker i know :)

    ReplyDelete